Saturday, January 17, 2009

Chicken Enchiladas (winging it)

Do you ever see a reciepe you want to try, forget to write it down, go to the store -remember you wanted to try it and try to "wing it"?
Well that is exactly what I did, I was in the store, remembered I wanted to try this chicken enchilada dish, was sure of SOME ingredients but not all. So I bought what I thought was needed. I had never made any chicken enchiladas before, always bought frozen ones...if that counts at all?
Needless to say they turned out great!
My son has a notebook, that he has written down all his favorite reciepes that I have made, he draws a picture and writes what it is.
Well this dish made it to the Michael's favorite reciepes book which is an accomplishment in itself!
So this reciepe is MICHAEL APPROVED! Which is the highest compliament I could ever get, because lets face it mommy doesnt always make things that make it to that book! LOL

Here is what we will need:
Chicken Breast (I used 3)
Green Chilie enchilada Sauce (1 can - you can add more if you want)
Tortillas (flour is what I used)
Sour Cream (I used low fat)
Shredded Cheese (I used the mix)

What to do:

Fry chicken breast on skillet - cook slow so that chicken cooks evenly. Add season (I used salt, pepper, season all, and a small sprinkle of taco seasoning)

(my assistant Michael in the kitchen cooking chicken breast)


**Tip of the Day - for kids who are picky to eat, I find it helps if THEY help cook the meal, if THEY make it or help, they are more likely to TRY it and LIKE it**

After the chicken is cooked, add half can of green chili enchilada sauce and simmer with lid on pan.


Once it has cooked into the chicken, take fork and shred chicken in pan. I used two forks it was much easier! It should look something like this once you have done that;


Replace lid on pan and let simmer for about 10 minutes.

After that add 1 cup of sour cream to chicken and 1 cup shredded cheese. Stir.


once it is all mixed together it should look something like this;


Warm tortillas for a few seconds in microwave, spoon mixture into tortillas and roll up, place into baking dish.



Pour remaining enchilada sauce over rolls and top with cheese.

Bake for about 15 minutes or until cheese is melted.


YUMMMM!




AND like I said Michael approved :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know my kids will love this, and extremely easy! thanks!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

You and your son are priceless. I love reading about your recipes.